Competent California Bond Counsel
The Weist Law Firm acts as bond counsel in a wide variety of financing transactions. As bond counsel, we either draft or review all necessary resolutions, documents and legal opinions required to structure, issue and sell the municipal bonds undertaken by our clients. We provide the appropriate legal, tax and disclosure advice and act as liaison between the issuer, financial advisor, underwriter, trustee and investor.
Taking a Leadership Role in Public Financings
The role of bond counsel shares certain connotations with the role of an NFL quarterback. Bond counsel must possess the leadership skills and other intangible qualities necessary to make sure that each member of the bond financing team knows exactly what is expected, how it is expected to be done, and the timeframe in which each member is expected to perform. Some of the specific tasks and duties of a bond counsel are to:
- Develop the structural framework of the bond transaction
- Attend all city council meetings, board meetings, staff and public meetings
- Responds to queries from developers, ratepayers and the like
- Obtain all government and regulatory approvals
- Verify that all legal requirements of a bond offering are met by the issuer
- Identify and cause the disclosure all the material legal proceedings and other similar eventualities that may affect the offering
- Interpret the laws and regulations regarding taxes, fees, assessments, rate increases, liens and other such matter affecting the revenue sources securing the municipal transaction
- Draft all notices, resolutions, ordinances, certifications, contracts and other such financing documents
- Arrange for and manage the bond closing, including the flow of all funds
- Issue a tax opinion, substantiating that a bond issue is tax exempt
- Prepare a closing transcript of proceedings to document the transaction
Experienced, Accomplished and Dedicated
Providing representation in the area of public finance law for over two decades, The Weist Law Firm provides clients with effective legal services that ensure that their transactions conclude smoothly. Our firm has an enviable track record of shepherding trouble-free bond offerings to the market. We are also known for providing follow-up counsel and advice after the offering has been made public. We believe that our role as bond counsel is not concluded simply because the formal transaction has been finished.
Legal Opinions that are Widely Accepted
The legal opinions issued by our firm are accepted throughout the country by requisite underwriters, banks, investors and lawyers. We are renowned for diligently researching and reviewing every aspect of a public finance transaction meticulously, preemptively avoiding problems for clients, underwriters and investors. We work closely with government staff and elected officials to ensure the success of each public financing project we undertake.
If your special district or municipality is seeking the services of competent bond counsel, contact us online or call the California-based Weist Law Firm at 831-438-7900 to learn more about our experience and record of accomplishment.